Friday, October 15, 2010

Jesus Delivers For You.


As my children and grandchildren are aging, which hints at me aging as well, the promise of the resurrection Jesus has in his word become more and more needful. And during times of illness it was on my mind as well. That brings a person to questions as to how do I know it is for me this resurrection to life? Clearly scripture teaches a general resurrection of all persons on the last day. John 5:28,29 So how does Jesus deliver this promise to those who believe in him? Do we have to peer in our hearts to see it? Do we examine our works to see if there is enough holiness for God to admire? No. Our Creator, Victim, Priest, Lord and Saviour has another way.

John 6:52 The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?” 53 So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. 55 For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. 56 Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him. 57 As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever feeds on me, he also will live because of me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like the bread the fathers ate and died. Whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.” 59 Jesus said these things in the synagogue, as he taught at Capernaum. ESV

All other gods of the world religions require to be fed and cared for by the followers. This is another way that Christianity, biblical Christianity, differs. With the Lord Jesus feeds his followers of himself. In feeding us he delivers to us forgiveness of sins as he promised when he instituted the Supper. In the above section we have much more detail in the benefits one receives in the Supper. So the Real Presence of our Lord in the Supper is much more than just an academic discussion. It gets right down to brass tacks on whether we can actually take Jesus at his word or not. Jesus in some mysterious way has located himself in the bread and the wine so that when it touches our lips and tongue forgiveness, life, salvation and resurrection is received at once.

Some object to this because people receive these gifts and yet are lost. I get that. Really I do. However, this does not interrupt the promises of God as St Paul said in Romans 3:3 that unfaithfulness does not nullify the faithfulness of God. Yes forgiveness, life, salvation and resurrection were won for us back nearly 2000 years ago by Jesus. He brings that forward and delivers it to you in the bread and wine which is his body broken and blood shed for you. Rather than doubting these strong promises let us believe this good news and live in the peace it gives us.

In the name of Jesus. Amen. †

No comments: