Thursday, October 11, 2007

Getting the L out. Part 3


John 1:29 The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, "Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! ESV

One thing that is a certainty when you meditate on God’s word is that changes happen. At times totally unexpected and many times unwanted. When we started attending Lutheran services limited atonement was still a strong belief. Several folks assured me that no one is burned alive or even tarred and feathered over such an idea. That fact and my honest faith in Real Presence, Baptism and the forgiveness of sin one receives in them I had no problem continuing on in the Lutheran faith. Howver, I had absolutely no intention of getting the L out of my Christianity.

Lamb of God you take away the sin of the world.
Have mercy on us.

Lamb of God you take away the sin of the world.
Have mercy on us.

Lamb of God you take away the sin of the world.
Have mercy on us.

Grant us peace!

Chanting the agnus dei each and every service of Holy Eucharist did much to minimize the importance of limited atonement in my mind. Some reformed friends have told me that it is mindless repetition to do such a thing in worship. If it were a statement written by a human such a mantra would be mindless. And if one repeated it by rote without considering prayerfully the words then it would be mindless. However, the Holy Spirit inspired those words both out of the mouth of Brother John the baptizer and being recorded in scripture.

The fact that Jesus answered for the sin of the world certainly goes against the limited atonement category. All one is left with is universal grace which still makes me shudder at times. Old habits die hard I fear. But it is glorious to no longer wonder if Jesus died for me.

1 Timothy 1: 15 The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost. ESV


Amen Father Paul! Me too!

Glory to Thee O Christ! †

No comments: